Saturday, October 26, 2013

Georgetown

For many years, I visited or lived in DC and never went to Georgetown. Difficult to get to, hard to park, full of high-end stores and mediocre restaurants. I just did not spend a lot of time there.

Even when I started teaching at Georgetown, my visits consisted of driving to my corner of campus and heading straight to my classroom. No passing Go. No collecting $200. Not getting to know the area at all.

Harper changed all that.

Between the 2-3 time per week appointments and the intense two and half week period of practically living in the hospital and seeing a therapist nearby, I got to know the hospital, campus, and surrounding neighborhood pretty well. I know the shortcuts, and can even give a bit of a campus tour.

My organization has our annual meeting at a hotel in Georgetown, and I realized as I drove back and forth, and took strolls outside during the breaks, just how many memories are triggered by Georgetown itself.

The early morning drives, the traffic choke points, the passing of stores - it brought back a lot of very visceral experiences. Enough to sting my eyes with tears.

I wonder if Georgetown will always feel that way?

No comments:

Post a Comment