Monday, March 3, 2014

Magic fingers...

Shea has been very into counting lately; they've been working their way up to 100 in preschool.

As I prepared to clip his nails the other day, he stopped me and said, "Wait, Mommy, I have to count them first. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten! Ten fingers!"

I complimented him on his counting and began to clip his nails.

"Everyone has ten fingers," he informed me.

I paused. "Harper bean didn't," I reminded him. "She had an extra finger, so she had eleven fingers."

He thought about that for a moment, "But did she have a pinky and a thumb?"

"She sort of had two pinkies," I told him. "That's where her extra finger was."

"When she growed up, would she have ten fingers?"

I brushed past the truth of Harper never growing up and instead said, "No. She was born with eleven fingers. That's just how many she had, so she would have had that many growing up. Some people just have extra fingers."

He thought some more as I finished clipping his nails. "Mommy," he told me, leaning closer, "I think Harper bean's extra finger was magic!!"

I thought about Harper's quirky little extra finger and smiled. Magic indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment