Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Big Easy and the Less Easy

I'm here on business in New Orleans, enjoying a dinner out with my pregnant co-worker, due the same week, where we got to talk about mommy stuff. Really enjoying catching up on movies in my hotel room - perhaps a lame way to enjoy the Big Easy, but I've been here before and movies are a luxury parents of a toddler seldom get to enjoy!

I am finding the board on Baby Center for parents of CHD babies to be chock full of useful information. One of my practical concerns is, if Bean doesn't have heart surgery for a while, what do we do for childcare before surgery? I asked this question on the board and got a lot of responses, including this very helpful response from a mom whose baby (a beautiful little boy who looks healthy and happy post-surgery!) was born with AVSD and a club foot (sound familiar?):

"My son was also born with an AVSD w/o DS. I went back to work after 12 weeks. We asked our cardiologist about daycare and he said he was fine to attend presurgery. We used a daycare center and they were completely fine with having him there. He eventually was put on oxygen at 5 months due to Pulm HTN until surgery at 7 months. He stayed in DC the whole time until the day before his cath which ultimately determined he needed surgery that week. Post surgery our cardio wanted him out of DC for 8 weeks at which time he went back, in the fall, off oxygen. He did receive Synagis the winter before surgery and the winter after surgery."

Found this to be a very reassuring answer! I don't know if it will work this way for us, but at least, in theory, it can be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment