Saturday, May 18, 2013

Happy One Month, Harper bean!!

Dear Harper,

One month ago today, you were born. Your daddy and I cried happy tears when the doctors told us you were a girl, despite our confusion over the chromosome results. We spent most of the rest of the day crying sad and scared tears, and both the happy and sad moments with you have been a non-stop racing blur over the past four weeks.

Today is a day I should be posting a cute picture of you on FB, with a caption along the lines of "Happy Birthday, Harper - I can't believe it's been a month already! Love you, baby girl!" Instead I'll do that in this blog about your life and death.

Love you, bean!
We celebrated your birthday today by having a normal day as a family. Taking your big brother to a truck touch, where he had an amazingly fun time driving a fire truck, sitting in a Bobcat, and riding up and down on a truck liftgate. I managed to smile at a new baby, born not long before you were, and not burst into tears. We had lunch with friends, and I was able to mention how much you hated having your temperature taken, even more than getting poked with needles, also without weeping. Shea has been regaling me with silly pretend stories all day, and I've been delighting in my clever, imaginative boy. I took the dogs for a long walk in the cool spring air, and teared up only a little at a stray memory of an art show I had attended a couple days before you were born, still full of promise about the baby to come.

I wish you were here, little bean, but we've honored your memory by having a happy, happy day.

Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment