Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The "D" words

In every conversation with hospice or counselors or other parents, one phrase that keeps reappearing is "we don't talk about death."

And that's true. Even typing this blog, I find myself hesitating as I type words like death, dead, dying, died. When talking or emailing, I tend to use euphemisms, like "Haper's passing" or "We lost her" as if we've lost track of her at the mall or beach, and she'll turn up any moment.

But baby death is eerily like pregnancy or the newborn stage, where you're reduced to thinking of everything in days or weeks. Yet, unlike making or raising a baby, with Harper's life, there will be no progress - she will always only have 17 days. Death, on the other hand, progresses.

How many days has it been?, a mother - who runs a support group on infant loss - asked me this morning. Nine days, I told her, without hesitation. It will be four weeks on Thursday since she was born and nine days since she died.

It gets better, she told me.

The only thing worse than the sadness is the guilt when you don't feel sad. And the obsessive behavior used to distract from both the guilt and the sadness.

In the past couple days, there have been moments of actual happiness. We've begun planning a trip to Disney, and I found myself excited for the first time about a future plan. But then I remember the only reason we can do this trip - Lou has a conference and Shea and I will be joining him - is because our little heart baby isn't here (we weren't sure we'd be able to take her, when I was pregnant, since the heart condition may have made travel difficult).

Then the wave of guilt hits.

Shouldn't I be sad in every moment? Where is the line in which you're not a horrible person because you're going about your everyday activities, you're laughing or planning for the future, you're enjoying life again, you're not thinking about your baby who has died? When is that OK?

Eight days? Nine days? Three weeks? Three years?

Is it OK that I felt happiness on day eight? That seems too soon.

Today I am back to sad. In some strange way, that feels better. Sad seems normal. Sad seems right. As much as I hate the uncontrollable crying, the bursting into tears at a kind note or an NPR story on dying rhinos (yes, I actually did that, the rhino was crying and the sound made me weep), it feels like what you should do when your baby dies. Waking up after a night of nightmares and not wanting to get out of bed, which was the start of my morning, fits my pre-conceived notions of a grieving mother.

Enjoying a hike outside with my dog feels wrong.

Normal life seems so abnormal now.

To distract myself, I obsess. I turn my brain off and make myself busy. I organize. I clean. I plan.I research.

Basement playroom = nearly done. Appointments with counselors and my trainer = booked. Obsessive exercise = natch.

Reams of research on how soon you can get pregnant again after a c-section = saved and printed.

Still, I avoid the chores directly related to Harper's death. Cleaning up from sitting shiva. Putting away baby clothes. Figuring out where to put the bassinet. Writing out thank you notes.

"Are you OK?", Lou asks all the time, giving me hugs.

Stop asking me that, I tell him. It's a question I can't answer.




6 comments:

  1. I hope I say this right, but, Harper would want for you to be happy. That's what she was fighting for all those 17 days, to be able to share in your happy life. Even as a newborn, a happy, peaceful parent usually means a happy, peaceful baby. They're a reflection of you. Enjoy the things that Harper cannot: the sunlight, the walks, the laughter, the fun. You, and Lou, and Shea, have to appreciate and enjoy it all the more now, to make up for Harper not being able to.

    And, if you want any suggestions or tips for your Disney trip, let me know! You definitely will want to set up some reservations for character meals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That said, while it's OK for you to be happy, it's also OK for you to be sad. It's normal. It's fine. In traditional Chinese culture, the family mourns for 100 days.

    And having been forced to change my password this morning, my new password honors Harper, so I'll be remembering her every day for the next three months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take your time. You will be both happy and sad but over time, the happy will outweigh the sad more and more. There is no perfect timetable--just take all the time that you need. Your baby died (yes I used the word) and it is a devastating loss. But you also have some wonderful things (and people) in your life to be happy about. If you want help with those hard chores (putting away the baby things, etc.) I would be happy to assist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What comes first to my mind is a philosophical analysis of grief as affirming the value of our attachments, but trying to type any such thing here has shown me the error of my ways. Instead, I'll stop by and see if you're home next time I'm in Silver Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie....I lost my Isabella 6 years ago from SLOS. It is the worst feeling to watch a baby suffer. I wasnt only affected by her, but by so many families that were in the NICU...and nurses and doctors at UVa. Grief is a feeling that arises when there are conflicting feelings...for me it was the relief of her not suffering any longer and then wanting to be with her everyday and watch her grow up. There are so many cliches that go along with something like this...and you probably feeling like you are living in a mud puddle...with little light and hard to breathe. But truly, the weight of it does lift over time. And although I am not with my Isabella, you would not believe the people that I have met because of her...or the people whos life has been forever touched by her. It takes sorrow to know joy and joy to know sorrow. I send you many hugs and healing energy from Stanardsville Virginia. Seek grief counseling when you are ready..it took me 5 years before I was ready. But when I did, I chose the grief recovery method. It really has helped me let go of some of the angry, guilt and regret. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot for sharing. You have done a brilliant job. Your article is truly relevant to my study at this moment, and I am really happy I discovered your website. However, I would like to see more details about this topic. I'm going to keep coming back here.

    Edhi Foundation
    Stop Killing Newborn Baby
    Stop Child Killing

    ReplyDelete