Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I have found my people

There is a support group for everyone at Babycenter.com. Well, for everyone having some sort of interest in babies.

In particular, there is a group/discussion board for anything and everything that could go wrong in the course of having children. And, as I now know, there's an awful lot that can go wrong. (Given that I have a doctoral degree in reproductive biology, you'd think I'd have known that all along, but life is neither a textbook nor a dissertation...)

You can join those boards and access them all through a button simply labeled "Community."

I realized tonight that the past 10 months of my experiences with Harper can be summarized through the Baby Center boards that I joined - my "Community." At every twist and turn I reached out for support, information, and camaraderie and each time I joined a new board I had a sense of, "Finally, I have found my people..."

Every sleepless night throughout my pregnancy and after Harper's birth and death - and trust me, there were/are many sleepless nights! - I would spend hours scouring these boards for the answers that would reassure me, that would make me feel everything is all right. I still do. That's the scientist in me, I suppose. Reassured by research, even if the plural of anecdote isn't data.

My Baby Center board list, in the order in which I joined them:

  • Babies and Children with Heart Problems
  • AVSD Parents
  • IUGR Babies and Kids
  • Clubfoot Support
  • Special Needs and Medically Complicated Kiddos
  • Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant Loss Support
  • TTC After a Neonatal/Infant Loss
  • Genetic Carriers

No comments:

Post a Comment